Kids in their initial years require optimum nutrition through food and drinks. Even when you little wizard starts taking solid food you should keep a tab on his liquid intake too. According to the American Dietetic Association, a kid should consume at least 5-7 glasses of fluid every day.
To meet this fluid requirement go for fresh fruit juices only. Do not serve them packaged drinks or carbonated ones ever.
If your little one rejects milk due to any reason, he is losing a lot on bone-building calcium or vitamin D. Thus, start introducing cow’s milk into their diet at the age of 1. Mix breast milk with the dairy milk in a bottle and serve. Keep increasing the quantity slowly. Later try flavouring the same milk. Remember, when the kids are young, they are very impressionable; thus make it a ritual to drink milk in front of them.
To help you do this and also develop your child’s taste buds, here are recipes for healthy drinks for kids. Incredibly easy to prepare, these are a treasure trove of taste and health.
The ultimate soft drink: This butterbeer recipe has no milk, neither it is cloyingly sweet.
How to make Butterbeer:
• Heat about 2 cups ginger ale in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
• Slowly stir in 1 teaspoon butter.
• Add one tablespoon brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
• Don’t stir hard to avoid soda from fizzing.
• Pour it in your kiddo’s favourite cup and serve with cake.
Buy Homemade Cakes Online here.
Strawberry and Watermelon Lemonade:
This drink is an ultimate combination of seasonal fresh fruits. Make it once and watch your little ones drool over it.
How to make Strawberry and Watermelon Lemonade:
• Blend 8 cups seeded watermelon, 1 cup fresh strawberries, ½ cup fresh lemon juice, 2 cups water and sugar as per taste.
• Taste and select berries before adding sugar to the blend.
Peanut and jelly shake:
Whip up this tasty shake for breakfast and serve it with a grilled sandwich.
How to make peanut and jelly shake:
• Add 2 cups milk, 1 sliced ripe banana, 2 tablespoon peanut butter, 2 tablespoon jam or jelly and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
• Blend for 3 minutes and refrigerate.
• Serve when cold.
It is indeed a blast of protein and energy.
Strawberry water with Mexican touch:
An amazingly flavorful and refreshing drink, it will bring your taste buds alive.
How to make strawberry water with Mexican touch:
• Combine 4 cups strawberries, 1 cup white sugar, and 1 cup water. Refrigerate it for 4 hours.
• Blend and strain the mixture.
• Then add 7 cups water to the puree and allow it to chill.
• Before serving, garnish it with lemon slices and mint sprigs.
Berry Delicious Smoothie:
This drinkable treat is an ideal combination of frozen berries, banana and strawberry yoghurt.
How to make Berry Delicious Smoothie:
• Blend 2 cups mixed berries, 1 cup milk, 1 cup strawberry flavoured yoghurt, 1 banana and ½ teaspoon sugar.
• Serve the smoothie chilled.
Avocado and Blueberry Smoothie:
If your kids belong to the community of – ‘I Hate Green Veggies’, then this drink is a must for them.
How to make Avocado and Blueberry Smoothie:
• Blend 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup yoghurt, ½ cup almond milk, ½ cup water and ¼ cup avocado.
• Serve chilled and give your kids a gift-of-health.
At Qtrove, we have everything from preservative free health drinks to homemade healthy snacks, as we love your child as much as you do.